Hawarden Lodge 6140

Hawarden Masonic Hall

Gladstone Way,
Hawarden
Deeside
Flintshire
CH5 3HE

Originally a boys school and constructed massively of local sandstone, Hawarden Masonic Hall was built in 1877. It's origins owe their development to the Education Act of 1875, enacted by the Liberal Government, of which William Ewart Gladstone of Hawarden Castle was Prime Minister, which stated that all children above 5 years of age should receive an education.

The premises functioned as a boys school until 1912 when it was replaced by a new school, denominated Canon Drew School, now demolished.

The old boys school was used as a Masonic Hall by St.Deiniols Lodge no.3272 and in 1912 the lodge purchased the building from the Church Authorities.

Click to see: Hawarden Masonic Hall on Google Maps

Description - as listed:

The former school house, built by Rector Glynne 1834, and perhaps designed by Thomas Jones (compare Mold, Old County Hall). It was converted as the Masonic Hall in 1913.

A 6-bay rectangular hall in Jacobethan style, of sandstone ashlar on a continuous plinth. Medium pitched slate roof with plain eaves. Coped gables to N and S with crocketted finials, diagonally set, and corbelled out. Large, centrally-placed lateral chimneys, stepped and with single octagonal shafts. That to the E has inserted moulded plaque bearing inscription `Masonic Hall 1913', in raised lettering. Shield with Masonic badge above. Symetrical E facade with two 2-light mullioned and one single-light window to either side of stack. Recessed and chamfered surrounds. Plain mullions and moulded and returned hoods. Stepped 8-light mullioned and transomed windows to N and S gables, with a blocked entrance to N. Enclosed porch to S, timber-framed on a brick plinth to dado height. All windows to the main building have been blocked except two on the W side. Single-storey stone extensions of two periods to rear, the chief of which has a porch with timber-framed gable and stepped access. 4-light mullioned window; slate roof.